Thursday 5 November 2009

Saying goodbye



On Monday my DH and I had to say goodbye to our lovely old dog Bentley who was nearly 12 years old.

He had had a progressive paralysis of his back legs, which had been working its way up from his toes to his spine for the past couple of years, and he finally collapsed on Monday and couldn't be moved from our van.

The house is very quiet without him, he used to bark loudly at anything that moved at the end of the garden and frequently got a telling off for it, and now I would love to lean out of the window and tick him off.

He was a great friend, listening patiently to all my woes over the last 11 years. He never blamed me for bad moods, just waited till I felt better and was ready to pet him.

He was a big dog with an even bigger heart and we miss him hugely.

8 comments:

Nikki said...

Bye bye Bentley. xx

Gina said...

Sorry to hear your sad news Sharon. I know how much a part of the family a dog becomes. x

Julie said...

So sorry to hear about Bentley Sharon, it is always so hard to lose a special friend. Take care xx

Unknown said...

That is just so sad! You will miss him very much but I am sure he had a great live at your side. Take care...Big hug

Pat said...

It's so hard to lose a friend but the memories will still be there as the sadness fades.

chrissythreads said...

So sorry about Bentley- let yourself be sad awhile and then remember him with all the joy you shared and let yourself smile.
Thinking of you

Debbi Baker said...

Sorry to hear about Bentley. Hope you are able to find some creative distractions to ease the sadness.

Sandra Wyman said...

It is so sad when you lose a four-footed family member - but I'm sure he had a wonderful life, and it ended in the kindest way you could manage!