Thursday, 6 November 2008

Final piece 2

Many thanks to everyone who gave me their input on the previous post. With yours, my tutor's and of course my OH's help I have finally managed to start getting somewhere with the piece.

As I knew I would I chose a comlpetely different design, but it was similar to the last one that I posted on the previous post.



This was largely due to my OH's input as he suggested that if I duplicated the image and flipped it, it would look like a cave, with a waterfall running down. The RH portion of this image has been stretched to fit the left and that's what gave me the waterfall look. I tried all sots of connotaions with this idea and finally came up with a rather 'heavy' result.



While I was thinking about what to do next I decided to get on with the part I did like, the cave, so I printed this directly onto PFD cotton, having first increased the saturation on the image to +10. I'd run out of Bubblejet 2000, so I thought I'd see what I got with no coating and was quite pleased with the slightly muted effect.



I now decided I would FME and quilt the main features, so I made the usual sandwich with wadding and calico. I have to confess that part of the reason for doing this was that I wanted to try out my new Bernina Artista 630 with the BSR (Bernina stitch regulator ) and I can now report that it's fabulous!!!

Partly because I needed to incorporate some fabric manipulation into this piece and partly because I thought it would add something to the textural quality, I bonded some sheer to the 1st and 3rd hanging areas of the design, FME'd it and then put the heat gun on it.



My Oh suggested that I needed more texture and said perhaps I should do some embelishing with wool tops to make it look like rock, impressed eh!! I was!

Anyway, great idea though it was, I decided to go for my favourite French knots and some beads over the LH hanging part, as this already looked a bit volcanic. The third area I worked in running stitch to keep it inkeeping with the original texture, and finfinally I stitched the waterfall area with some fine siver thread, by hand, so as not to loose the depth created by the original machine quilting.





At this stage I was now wondering how to put this into a final hanging and as a last resort I just had a bit of a doodle over the original design in PS and came up with this:



At least this one covers all the critria for the module, I hope. All I have to do now is work out how to do it in fabric.

I think the outside will be dyed silk organza and the hanging pieces could be organza bonded to acrylic felt and the zapped with the soldering iron.

PS sorry about the poor quality pics , but seeing as it hasn't stopped raining for a week they had to be done indoors.

9 comments:

Julie said...

You've got some lovely stitching on this Sharon. It's amazing how far it's come from the original inspiration. I'll look forward to seeing the final piece.

Helen Suzanne said...

I like the close ups of your stitching. It's interesting the way you've linked the two pieces in the hanging sketch. It's this stage I always get a bit lost and never know how to finish things properly.

Shirley Anne Sherris said...

It's looking good Sharon, particularly the colours and the textures.
Cheers

Fran├žoise said...

You're doing a great job. I really like the stitching. Wonderful!
Looking forward to seeing what you do next.

Jacquelines blog said...

It is so great to follow your proces. The stiching is wonderful and I am wondering how it goes with the new machine.

hippopip said...

It is looking fantastic you must be so pleased well done.

Margaret Ann said...

Delightfully detailed work! :) VEry rhymthmic!

Ro Bruhn said...

This is beautiful, I love the transition from the image to the fabric and then the stitching, great work.

Debbi Baker said...

These are terrific Sharon - great to read your thought processes!!