Thursday 1 January 2009

A time for evaluation

It's that time of year again when our thoughts turn to how we fared last year and what we might do differently this year.
We went for a lovely walk around a local lake this morning and I took my camera to record a few shots for this post. I had been inspired by the blogs I've visited over Christmas, with lots of enthusiastic ideas for the New Year, but in particular Becky's post made me feel I needed to get my thoughts in order and make a commitment to New Year plans.

I was very surprised when I reviewed my pics to find that they illustrated exactly how I feel at the moment, so I thought I'd show you.



I took this first shot as I thought it was so lovely that even on a very cold day this family had come out to make sand castles with their children and it reminded me how precious my family are to me.



When I saw this pic I just felt sad to see this football, it looked lost and alone and it sort of made me feel that I've felt a bit like that this last year, working in isolation on the C&G, never really knowing if I'm making headway or travelling backwards.



This lone tree reminded me of my ever present need to do something different and stand out from the crowd, which again is an uncomfortable place to be, out of your comfort zone.



And lastly this tangle of trees made me think of the constant scrambled messages I send to myself, while I'm struggling to reach my goal, sometimes hating what I've been instructed to do and doing it with a very bad grace, but then surprising myself when something works, and I would never have thought to go down that route.

Last year when people were mentioning choosing a word to guide them throught the year, I couldn't think of one, but this year my word is 'Enjoyment' as I think it is the key to producing beautifull (saleable) work.

I hope I will have more time to blog this year, as I have missed being part of the community over the past few months, and I do appreciate the help and support of other bloggers which is so generously given.

I wish you all a very happy and productive 2009.

9 comments:

Jenn Jilks said...

I like your writing and the photos are spectacular.

The trees hit home for me. We just had massive wind storms. I have written else where about the importance of old trees making way for the younger ones, and the regeneration of the forest.

Purple Missus said...

Happy New Year to you too Sharon. What a wonderful way to summarize your thoughts and feelings using these photos.

Julie said...

Lynda is right, a great post. I'll look forward to seeing more of your blogging in 2009. I've missed your presence in blogland :o)

Happy New Year, Sharon!

Aussie Jo said...

Great photo thoughts Sharon, looking forward to seeing what you come up with this year!

Shirley Anne Sherris said...

Hi
Happy new year to you and your OH.
Nice to see you blogging again. Look forward to seeing more.
We too went for a walk after having taken the decorations down. It was very dull and sooooo cold.
My images of the day were taken indoors!!!!
Cheers
Shirley

Becky Mairi Farrell said...

Your pictures and thoughts on them are so evocative and I can identify with all that you've said. The first picture reminds me of a walk I went on in late summer. We were nearing the end and had done a tricky descent in thick woodland, then suddenly we came out into the open sunshine and a sandy field by the river with children playing. So much joy.

Your choice of word sounds perfect. It's important to enjoy your creativity, partly because, well, why do it otherwise? Also because, well, for me anyway, the more I force myself and put pressure on myself, the more lifeless my art becomes. Do what you love!

I too find blogging a great antidote to the often isolating process of making art. We sit on our own with our tools and inspiration and try to make it into something real. Even if people are there, the state one has to be in to be creative doesn't allow much for communication. I love the connections and connectedness I gain from blogging and reading what my online friends are doing.

End of the longest comment ever!

hippopip said...

A very thought provoking blog Sharon,have a really great 2009 filled with friendship, creative highs and a distinction in your C&G

Carol said...

What a fab post. i wanted to say even though I have a C+G class I still too feel isolated and lost in my work most of the time too. It is a head trip, C+G. I am doing level 4 at the moment and it is hurting my meager brain! If you ever need a sounding board, someone who is in it at the moment too, let me know.

Genie said...

Happy New Sharon