Al last I found a free hour to have a think about where to go next with this project. I've procrastinated for about a weeek now. I know that because I've kept this record of my progress, so there's no denying it.
I got the three canvases, now downsized to 12"x 12" from 16"x16", and unwrapped them, so far so good! Well they looked nice! Then panic set in and I decided I needed to know how the three would work, I wasn't really convinced that the first attempt (see below) was right after all, or is it that I now have a surfeit of square canvases, thanks to a special (can't be missed) offer in our local DIY store and I don't want to buy oblong ones.
So having established that today wasn't a good day to paint the canvases, not really enough time anyway, I did some sketch book doodles with felt tips and other unmessy media.
I think I might just have enough of an idea now to put paint to canvas tomorrow!!