Wednesday, 24 October 2007
recording the process (rust triptych) 3
Had a whole day in the studio today, amazing!
The first thing I decided to do was work into the 'urban' sample Ben and I had started yesterday. I forgot to mention that before I started the machine embroidery I mounted the piece on some Romeo water-soluble fabric. I machined a heavier thread on the bobbin and worked some circles from the wrong side just to give a different texture. Having done this I took the heat tool to it again to see if I could get more of a lumpy surface, (Ben’s idea!) and it worked. The only thing was that when the Romeo melted it was very fumey, so the windows needed to be open and I definitely needed my mask. After I'd done this I did a bit more machining around the lumps and put the soldering iron on it to make a few more holes,
I shall leave it now until I get my embellisher.
My next experiment was with the little canvas sample that I'd painted. This was truly a moment of 'lets try it and see what happens', so I started by stitching down some of the painted scrim with French Knots using some of the delicious threads I'd bought at Hobbycraft. This seemed to go OK. Spurred on by this moment of serendipity I decided to see if it was possible to iron the painted bondaweb to the canvas, and hey presto it worked! But I did have to wait a bit for it to cool before removing the paper. I was feeling pretty good by this time; this project that seemed to be going nowhere was finally beginning to have something.
Next I tried ironing on the wax rubbings I took of the scrim on tissutex, this worked too, see the picture above. Buoyed up by this success I even tried putting down bondaweb and ironing on the metallic sheet and this time it worked thanks to Lynda's help, as she'd given me a check list of things to do, and one of them said iron on a wool setting, bingo! I'd been using the hottest setting, no wonder it didn't work.
Anyway I did a bit more with the bodaweb and then went back to the stitching, more French knots and a few running stitches in hand dyed silk thread, beautiful.
What a great day, thanks to all the helpful advise on the discussion we had on the Fibre arts/ mixed media group I 'felt the fear and did it anyway!' Thanks you guys!