Sunday 23 December 2007

Finding my place





A couple of weeks ago I made a reply to Chrissy's post in which she discussed her latest degree assignment, which required her to look at her own domestic environment.
Chrissy's response to this investigation is on her post dated Dec 4th. I was reminded of my own feelings of the constant battle that goes on with trying to balance domestic duties and the need to satisfy our own creativity.
When I went to college at the age of 40 + I still had two teenage children at home, who were having their own stresses getting through the damands of GCSE exams, so I knew these feelings very well.
It reminded me of the piece I made when I was on the Foundation Course, and it was very much centred around the feeling of drowning.
The sculpture represents my face held in my OH's hand, which is rising from a sea of washing powder suds, and in the other half there is another mask half drowned.
Some 15 years on the battle still rages, only instead of the children at home, it's finding time for them as adults, plus the grandchildren, who I adore, but I still find it so difficult to put me at least half way up the list! and my poor OH is still holding up my head so I don't drown!
At the time of replying to Chrissie I didn't know where this photo of the sculpture was, and only found it today!!



On a lighter note I would like to say a really big thank you to all the friends I've made since I've been blogging and wish you all a very happy Christmas. I can't believe I only started in September, I've learnt so much and received so much kindness!! I was having a lot of doubts about my artistic abilities at the time and everyone has been so encouraging that I feel so much more confident now, and I really feel that I'm back on track.

4 comments:

Julie said...

Your face is beautifully sculpted Sharon. I don't know whether you intended it or not but I read it as your being very contented that your OH was supporting you. Strong hands too!
Blogging has been a good experience for me too with lots of new friends and support, not least of all yourself.
Enjoy your Christmas! :))

Val said...

Happy Christmas to you and all your family Sharon - looking forward to a very creative New Year with you - love your Christmas Card! Val

Purple Missus said...

Its so hard to believe that someone with as much talent as you has doubts about their abilities. I love this sculpture -it really does say it all.
Have a very happy Christmas Sharon. I look forward to getting to know you better in '08.

Ro Bruhn said...

Fabulous sculpture Sharon.
I hope you had a wonderful Christmas and best wishes for 2008
Ro
xo