Wednesday 5 December 2007

Module 3 finished at last



Well! 6 months down the line and I've finally finished module 3 of the C&G Embroidery Certificate, Nature's coverings, with Opus.



To be honest it started out as a bit of a slog because, as anyone who reads my posts may know, I'm not a fan of layers and layers of stitch.

Right from the start this module , as it's title suggests, was concerned with getting up close and personal with nature's textures. The thought of that quite pleased me as I do have a large collection of such pics, tree bark, sand patterns, dry stone walls etc. as I'm sure we all do. However the first thing we had to do was head for the fridge!!!! and look for exotic textures amongst last month's rotten cabbage lingering in the salad drawer together with the limp cucumber and spring onions that thought they were going to be such a lovely salad.

Having grumbled my way through the paperwork exercises I did find that some of the textures in my ailing fridge contents were quite interesting , such as the difference in the texture of tomato pips and the glistening juicy area around them.

When it came to interpreting the stuff in the fridge in stitch I thought I'd be in big trouble and approached the exercise with dread and irritation!! But once again I was proved wrong and I actually began to enjoy the rhythms of building up the layers of stitch and the different colours and patterns that emerged, almost without my input!!



There are still stitches that I don't like such as buttonhole stitch and BH bars, I'm not that keen on tufting either, but on the whole I learnt a lot in this module and am not quite so resistant to layers of stitch now I'm a bit more informed.

As far as the final project is concerned, the rust triptych, I decided to work on just one canvas at a time as this felt less daunting! This piece is not finished as I think I need to work over the background some more and maybe put down more layers of resin, once I have found a suitable method of building up the layers.





So onwards and upwards towards colour, the next module!

7 comments:

Shirley Anne Sherris said...

HI
Congratulations on finishing the module. There is no way I could do a course like that.
I like the panel in the first photo - it looks finished. Love all the texture on it.

Look forward to seeing all the colour work
Cheers

Julie said...

Congratulations, Sharon, on finishing this module. It looks like a lot of work. Good luck with finishing the triptych too.

Doreen G said...

Congratulations Sharon on finishingthis module I admire you girls who are doing C&G courses--I don't think I could do it.

Linda B. said...

Congratulations on completing the module, the more so as you were working outside your comfort zone, though I suppose that is why we do these things.
I particularly appreciated your reflections on the module.

Susan D said...

Congratulations on finishing the module, I look forward to seeing what you do next.

Unknown said...

This looks great Sharon and thanks for you're explanation of the course. I was doubting a bit, would this be something for me and I think I made up my mind know???!

Purple Missus said...

Well done Sharon on completing module 3. I am very much looking forward to following your progress for the next module - colour. I think we are going to see some really good work.