Monday 17 December 2007

Wash off



After I posted the instructions for the Vinegar painting technique, Lynda asked me if I knew of any others, so 'here's one I learnt earlier', to almost quote a well known Blue Peter saying.



The requirements for the technique are as follows:
Gouache
Cartridge paper
Waterproof inks (Windsor & Newton Black)
or Kandahar by Rowney
Brushes

* and a strong nerve!!

Paint your design onto the cartridge paper keeping the gouache paint fairly thick. You can use several different colours to create the design. Any white paper will remain black after the ink is painted over the top. Now allow the paint to dry naturally.

Now's when you need the strong nerve!! Paint over the whole design with the black ink. Black is the most effective colour but I have used white to good effect too, but it must be waterproof ink. Once the ink is dry you can wash it off under the tap, or better still use a shower
attachment.




If you are careful you can even scrub the ink away with a soft brush. The ink will only come off the areas that have been painted with gouache.




I love this technique because the results are so different to how you see them in your mind's eye.

I hope you enjoy it

6 comments:

Shirley Anne Sherris said...

Hi
Like the third sample best -the orange and black less defined pattern.
Now - what are you going to do with them??
Would they come in for your colour module?
Cheers

Purple Missus said...

Another brilliant technique. Does it only work with Gouache? Could you use watercolours or acrylics?

sharon young said...

What an excellent idea, Shirley, hadn't thought of that!
This was actually done as part of a study of yellow and at the time I was looking at the double meaning of the heart as a love token and yellow being the colour of infidelity.
As far as I know , Lynda, it doesn't work as well with the other paint media, but it's always worth a try, so I may do some experiments.

Unknown said...

Please do and share it with us, it looks interesting!

Julie said...

This is an exciting technique sharon. I too like the orange and black version above the yellow.

artfulzebra said...

Ooh, I shall have to try this, Sharon! It reminds me of the Quink and bleach technique. thanks for sharing! :o)

Maz