Monday 31 December 2007

Module 4 and other directions

Back to normal at last after all the Christmas festivities! And what a lovely family time it was too!
Now down to the serious business of the creative direction for 2008. Well! The first thing in the 'to do' pile is the new module in my C&G embroidery Certificate curse, (whoops, a bit of a Freudian slip there!!!) course.
As this one is colour I have high hopes of it being a bit easier going than the last, texture, as colour is probably the first decision I make about a new piece and is often the first thing that sparks my imagination in whatever it is that inspires me.

The first task in this module is to begin 'building a portfolio collection of colour'. The first part of this exercise is to make a 'Colour collection of colour stories'. I hope you're following the gist so far! The idea is to work with the primary colours to start with, (i.e. red, blue, yellow) and explore with the aid of magazine cuttings/photos, fragments or squares that reveal as many of the different shades and tones of these primary colours as possible. These are then to be glued to a backing sheet/sketch book in such a way as to show the story or flow of the above.





As usual it's sometimes quite difficult to interpret what is meant by the written instructions when you're doing a distance-learning course. So as you can see I've started with red and moved on to pink. I don't know if I'm on the right lines, but I just felt it was important for me to create a colour story that would inspire me in the future, and I think these might. There wasn't much time pre Christmas to do a lot but with my new timetable in place (Tuesday and Thursdays as creative days) I hope to get on with this a bit quicker than my previous effort of 6 months per module!!

My second priority this year is to make artwork to sell at future exhibitions that our fledgling group will be hosting. We plan to have one in the spring and one in July, so far, and I’m also exhibiting with a friend as a joint exhibition in a local gallery in June, so I’ll definitely need my two dedicated days.

By way of light relief I have my monthly commitment to Calendar Girls, which I love, as it gives me that much needed contact with other like-minded people.

Finally I want to build in more time for experiments with new ‘stuff’ that at the moment I know nothing about, get to grips with my embellisher and refresh my composite work on Photoshop.

Did I mention that part of my New Year plan was to reduce my nightly hours of sleep quota to 4 per night LOL?

Have a happy and creative New Year!!

7 comments:

Linda B. said...

As much as 4 hours hey? But it was a relief when I got to that point - I've not my blogged my targets. They're meagre compared with others and I know that I'll struggle even so!

Good luck for 2008!

Aussie Jo said...

Good luck with all that!!!
Don't forget getting sidetracked is part of the creative process.

Julie said...

Phew! I'm worn out just reading your plan for 2008! :) I haven't even thought about mine yet, well not enough anyways. 4 hours sleep a night certainly sounds ambitious! Happy, happy New Year Sharon. It has been an absolute pleasure to meet you this year. Thank you for your very kind words on my blog. My ramblings will continue so when the C & G gets too much pop over and see what a mess I'm getting into with the Take it Further challenge! :)) I like what you're doing with the colour study. It is a vast subject but fascinating. Have some fun with it. Your pink page is lovely - I do like Potty in Pink!

chrissythreads said...

Happy New Year Sharon!
I see you're all fired up and ready to go, Good luck with it all.

Shirley Anne Sherris said...

Hi and a happy new year to you.
I see you have chosen a warm colour first - isn't the weather miserable? -such poor light.
My OH always complains at how little sleep I get - my answer is that life is too short to sleep it away. Too much to do and not housework I may add. Wish we could extend the hours in the day.
Sounds like a good year ahead - best wishes with it all.
Cheers

Val said...

Gosh Sharon - you've got it well planned out. Am looking forward to sharing at least part of the year with you..... Val

Becky Mairi Farrell said...

I love the sound of the colour project, can't wait to see what you do with that. I hope you manage to preserve your creative days and that they will be full of inspiration and fruitfulness. Good luck with getting ready for all those exhibitions too!